Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Rowchoish

For bothies in the South West Highlands and Islands

Moderators: gus, admin

Re: Rowchoish

Postby auljock » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Aye richard I think the MBA keep it basic because its on the WHW but I think it should be a showpiece letting folk know how well bothies are looked after.I think the chimney gets cold and the way its been built it goes back at an angle just above the fire so a wee bit of heat is needed to get it to draw.
I hope your workparty goes well it looks like you will be getting good weather (best of luck wi' the pants :lol: ).I've got loads of stuff coming up in the next couple of months not all bothy related, though I will be at a workparty and having a look at a wee howff in may so I dont know when we will get to invermallie.
Hopefully we'll meet up later in the year and have a wee bothy night and a good blether.
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby YorkshireScot » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi folks

Just back from Rowchoish and what a tip! 16 (yes, sixteen) carrier bags of rubbish left. Can anyone beat that? :P Is it a record? :P
Anyway, there's no brush at all so if anyone is heading that way soon could they please take in a cheap dustpan and brush? Thanks in advance.

Richard
YorkshireScot
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby Kev&Skye » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Hang in there Richard there had been worse,we had to bury over 200 bottles at the sheil,winters comin honest

Kev
Kev&Skye
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gratemaker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Richard, aye ah know the feeling we had the same crap at invermallie time and time again :( hang in there .
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby auljock » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:57 pm

YorkshireScot wrote:Hi folks

Just back from Rowchoish and what a tip! 16 (yes, sixteen) carrier bags of rubbish left. Can anyone beat that? :P Is it a record? :P
Anyway, there's no brush at all so if anyone is heading that way soon could they please take in a cheap dustpan and brush? Thanks in advance.

Richard

Ah a new challenge, you have some competition on here richard you say 16 carrier bags but dont give a size so sadly you are disqualified :D
I bet when you applied for being an mo no one thought to mention the rubbish problem, everyone gets it sometime (even mark cottage) its a bit of a pain and a bit disheartening but I've found there are more folk respect than disrespect the bothies,welcome to the bothy bin man club.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby YorkshireScot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:21 am

Hi folks

Thanks for your support, to be honest I was expecting it at some point so it didn't bother me that much. Besides, I was a bit pissed when I got there anyway, had I been sober I might have gone mad! There's usually been some rubbish left and clothes and bedding but never this much. Btw them carrier bags was big ones....err....you know, er...them massive Ikea ones :roll: - so do I get undisqualified now?? Game on - I'm so competitive! :lol:

ps. PM'd you Harry

Richard
YorkshireScot
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby YorkshireScot » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi folks

If anyone is interested, we've just laid a nice new timber floor at Rowchoish to cover most of the earth floor. It's still a barn though :P

Rowchoish new floor 2.jpg
Rowchoish new floor 2.jpg (417.52 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

Richard
YorkshireScot
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby YorkshireScot » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:49 pm

The sleeping area has now doubled.

Thanks to Jock, Jim, Peter, Euan, Victor, Marc, Derek, Dennis, Buzz, Ian & Christine, the rangers (not the footy team) SYHA, the FC, LL&TNP and anyone else I may have missed off.

Euans song about Jock & Harry should be released as a single. It'd make a fortune!

Richard
YorkshireScot
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby BothyDave » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 am

Well done all, saw Jocks photos. You might have cleaned the floor before taking the photo! Assume that the mice are all resident? My last visit was a rainy day with lots of small company.
Age and treachery overcomes youth and inexperience
BothyDave
Wid burner
Wid burner

Postby auljock » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Aye Richard dave's right you need to get a decent door mat. Oh aye plus some insulation a new fire grate and throat :D only kidding you've done a great job so far.The first time I was there you didny need windies you could look straight through the holes in the stonework. Keep up the good work.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby YorkshireScot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi folks

Just back from Rowchoish. Last week I got an email saying the place was a tip and needed attention but when I got there yesterday it was fairly tidy with a black bin bag of rubbish outside. I took in a new sweeping brush and left a new bothy book as the last one was three-quarters full and the pages were dropping out. I also carried out loads of scrap metal.

Sadly, there was loads of evidence of toileting around the bothy. Last time I was in there was none which I hoped was down to the new sign the MBA suggested. However this time there was at least 5 examples of human shite right next to the bothy and some more a dozen metres away in the woods. A roaring fire burnt all of this as well as the bin bag of rubbish.

On another note (and this goes back to the MBA questionnaire 'Litter on long distance footpaths'), I spent the night with 4 Czechs (who I have to say weren't very sociable) who told me that 'everyone in the Czech Republic knows about Rowchoish bothy' which totally surprised me. If I mention Rowchoish bothy to my friends and work colleagues in Greenock they ask 'What the hell is a bothy???'. Apparently there's loads of info about the bothy and the WHW on the Czech internet so maybe it's partly to blame for the bothy's popularity. I have probably met Czechs and Germans at Rowchoish more than any other nationality.

On the way home I read my new MBA newsletter; in particular Gus's Bothy Bin Man story. It is such a familiar story for any MO who goes in to find all sorts of weird and wonderful items strewn about the place; some people really are as thick as pigshit :roll: The only consolation is that the more rubbish there is the more wood I need to burn :D

Richard
YorkshireScot
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby GAZNI » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 pm

As ye say Richard it can be all to common that all sorts of crap left at bothies, was at White Laggan and had a burn up in the stove and took the rest oot in old racksacks last week, sometimes I feel like a womble looking for rubbish to take home :roll: most MO's do it withoot a second thought and now seems to be part of the job description.As for the local defecation around bothies it can be more than annoying when it right in your face or sometimes hidden under a rock near the front door, maybe if the morons who do this were to walk into it a couple of times they would get the drift, it down to laziness and no care for the environment they like to visit. Also my wee dog has been known to find it for me if not buried ffs, I must get a run in to Rowchoish haven't been for years, if I remember right there many trees to hide well away from the barn to do my ablutions ha! :D
GAZNI
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Previous

Return to South West Highlands & Islands