Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Where have you been where are you going

Want to dribble crap? Stick it in here

Moderator: gus

Re: Where have you been where are you going

Postby GAZNI » Mon May 15, 2017 1:38 pm

I'm now up to 4bothies a week so now on course for a gud year in many a shelter, hope to be top bothier by end of year ha :lol: :mrgreen:
GAZNI
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby auljock » Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Sounds like a challenge Gaz :lol:
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby n+b » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Av slowed down this year gaz
am no very clever but i can lift heavy things
n+b
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gus » Tue May 16, 2017 9:18 pm

4 Bothies a week, no reason to miss the next workparty at Meanach then eh GAZNI...;)
Gus Fair.It tak's a lang spin tae sup wi' a fifer.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby Essan » Wed May 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm lucky if I manage 4 bothies a year! :o
Andy
Essan
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby piper » Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 am

Bit like Munro bagging ?
happiness was, a pint of beer and a venison burger in the mar lodge bar!
piper
Fire hogger
Fire hogger

Postby GAZNI » Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Auljock nay enough browny points to catch up wiv me, I was in at A'Chuill today for a walk it was a brill walk up Glendessery sun,and views were great, place in gud nick, will get in to another tomorrow for run, aim to keep them ticking over :P :D :lol: :!:
GAZNI
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby auljock » Sat May 20, 2017 9:32 am

Early days yet Gaz, a month till its freedom for me. Got 2 weeks holiday down south coming up then its bothy bothy bothy :D :D :D
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby GAZNI » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Another night at Glensuliag, coz missed ta babe wettin session ta w/end before, all lukin gud at bothy, trees Jim planted growin well, I must bring some up mysel soon, had a walk in from glen Loy for a change it a bit further at 7.5kms and track gets boggy on down slope to bothy but a nice walk all the same,gardens at Achnaellen on way in a wonderful sight to see, :o
GAZNI
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby noel » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Some folks I met at New Year got me curious about tarps. Eventually I had to get one, and I also made a hammock to go with it. A night or two testing it out..

..then I was off up to Loch Carron for a cycle trip to Craig bothy.

First night, I stopped in a wild, tangled little wood on the east side of Loch Damh.

If you're used to a tent, sleeping under a tarp feels strange at first but you quickly start to love the feeling of being out in the open instead of being cooped up inside a tent. It was mid-May when I was away so everything was bursting into life. Birds singing, cuckoos calling.

Next day the Torridon hills were looking fine.

I didn't go far, stopping a little way before Torridon village. This was literally the view I had looking out from the hammock watching the light fade from the sky until I fell asleep.

By now I was totally hooked on a tarp & hammock. It's very light. Great views of the surroundings. And sleeping in a hammock is like being hugged by a waterbed. It's also a pretty cheap setup.

On to Craig bothy.. The road to Little Diabeg is pretty brutal. As you climb up towards the bealach na gaoithe every so often you'll see a rusty old wreck of a bike and a sun-bleached skeleton lying by the roadside. Another poor bugger who didn't make it. This road does not take prisoners.

The path in to Craig was pretty.. interesting.. too. I'm sure it's OK with a rucsac but pushing a heavily laden touring bike along that rocky track is like a medieval torture.

Once I'd recovered, had a great time at Craig. A luxury bothy: beds, a toilet - even some trees to hang a hammock :)

A fair few folk around and some good company. I love the way a bunch of strangers can turn up at a bothy and before you know it you're all one well-oiled machine fetching & sawing wood, sharing food, having a natter. All too soon it was time to head for home :(

I cycled back to Strathcarron via the Coulin pass. There's a hydro scheme in development in the glen so lots of heavy plant around and the landrover track up to the top of the pass was a bit chewed up. Not the best time to visit if you're heading up that way.
noel
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby auljock » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Great report Noel, makes me want to try the hammock. Wonder how it fairs in bad weather.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby noel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 pm

A big tarp can really catch the wind. If you're tied down tight I think you'd be OK up to force 5 or so but if it's blowing hard I'd be looking for some deep woods to dive into. Once you're out of the blast there's a ton of space under the tarp to keep all your gear dry and more room to move about than a tent. Quite often you can find a good spot for a hang in places you could never pitch a tent. Rough or steep ground doesn't matter when you're floating above it.

If I got caught somewhere exposed I'd ditch the hammock and try one of the tarp ground pitches. I'm still figuring that out but something nice and low to the ground should get you through a storm - although it might not be very comfortable.

The MLD Trailstar tarp-tent could be the way to go. This is pretty bomb-proof as a tent and I think it also works as a hammock tarp.

If I bump into you somewhere you're welcome to try it out :)
noel
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby auljock » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 pm

thanks noel, my time is mostly spent in bothies , I rarely camp now but your post got me thinking I'd like to give it a go. I'll probably buy a cheap hammock to try and get the feel for it and see how it goes. I've a bit more time on my hands so I'm looking to do some through routes and this looks like a lightweight way of doing them.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby noel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Here's an interesting little vid about hammock size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuSOIWd1Gfw. Longer is better. My own hammock is about 11ft. That's about as long as you can go and still stay covered by a 3x3 tarp.

Note how he's lying diagonally. With the right amount of sag, this gives you a nice flat lay. A lot of folks recommend hanging one end slightly higher than the other. Your feet go in the high end: that's supposed to keep your centre of gravity low and stop you sliding about so much.

I had to learn a whole bunch of new knots for this. The midshipman's hitch is great for an adjustable hammock ridgeline.

McCarthy hitches and Trucker's Hitches are good for tying a tarp down nice and tight. Everyone has their own way of doing this of course.

Whoopie slings are probably the best way to hang a hammock. They're nice and light and give you a good range of adjustment. They're not hard to make - google around for some DIY vids. Whatever you use for suspension should be rated around 1,000lbs breaking strength for a person up to 200lb.

One thing that's quite important is the angle of the suspension lines. Once you get close to the horizontal - anything under 20 degrees or so - the tension ramps up really fast. Something will break. I'm usually aiming for 20-40 degrees.

DD make some good gear. The DD Chill-Out Hammock is a good length and width. Most importantly, it even comes with a beer holder :)
noel
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby piper » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:35 am

Aye Noel...dont fancy itmuch during the Midge season , The picture posted , looks a prime spot for the wee beesties ...tip for the Day..use a bothy :wink:
happiness was, a pint of beer and a venison burger in the mar lodge bar!
piper
Fire hogger
Fire hogger

PreviousNext

Return to Random pish