Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Craig

For bothies in the North West Highlands and Islands

Moderators: gus, admin

Re: Craig bothy during summer months

Postby n+b » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:22 am

hi ian,its a three bedroom,to public room house,plenty room.wouldent think it would be all that buizzy.
neil
am no very clever but i can lift heavy things
n+b
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby piper » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Cheers Neil!
happiness was, a pint of beer and a venison burger in the mar lodge bar!
piper
Fire hogger
Fire hogger

Postby derek » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Was up at Craig last week for a couple of nights - cracking bothy and definitely one of the best stoves I've come across. Eats wid at a hell of a rate but fortunately there's masses of deadwood around the bothy and down at the beach.

Was no need for a sleeping mat either as the old matresses and beds from the hostel are still there and with and excellent path from Diabeg to the bothy door it couldn't have been a better couple of days! Would definitely recommend it (now one of my top 5!)
"All governments are lying cocksuckers."

Bill Hicks (RIP)
derek
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby The Bothy Ghost » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Good to know, Derek.
"Sha Hoor Jess, ye've pit the lum up!"
The Bothy Ghost
Fire hogger

Postby socrates » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 am

I would of thought there's every chance of getting in to Craig at this time of year. We were there in May a couple of years ago (I always think of May as prime bothying season) and we had the place to ourselves. Agree about the stove (although I know Neil thinks it's pish).
Why not walk in from Redpoint - it's a bit longer but its a beltin' walk and it offers the possibility of camping on the wee island which is definately in my top 5).
socrates
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby derek » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Did think about going in from Redpoint but heard the path was a bit dodgy in places and not knowing the fuel situation I was carrying coal so Diabeg seemed the easier option.

Might try the Redpoint route next time though as the beach did look superb. Must say tho that the drive to to Diabeg is quite an experience and its worth the trip for that drive alone! :twisted: :lol:

Bill Hicks (RIP)
derek
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Re: Craig

Postby libb22ya » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:44 pm

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotla ... s-1.523543

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-28794546

Its a good job we dug drains all round it

[ Lifts Craig from the bottom of the list ]
libb22ya
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby auljock » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 pm

I was up last year peter the bothy looked a fine building in a very good setting,The interior does need a decent floor but everything else looked fine to me.A decent bothy in my opinion.
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby derek » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Heard there doing a major clean up of the beach and surrounding area at the end of the month so thinking about going up next week and giving them a head start. :D Anybody know if the old bunks and mattresses are still upstairs and useable? Mind getting a grand nights sleep on them a few years ago. Is the beast of a stove still up there as well?

Bill Hicks (RIP)
derek
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby Essan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 am

Not sure about the bunks and mattresses but the stove was working fine during the deluge last month :)
Andy
Essan
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby auljock » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:50 pm

canny remember seeing any mattresses derek but the sprung beds were there last year.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby derek » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Had a night at Craig on Saturday and the stove is still a belter. Bothy's suffered a bit since my last visit with the main problem being the floor downstairs which is needing replaced. The right hand room is no longer useable with a keep out sign on the door but you can also feel the floor sagging in the main room and kitchen in places so will probably need replacing in the next year or two. Other than that the place is generally fine and the beds upstairs still make for a comfy night!

Have put some photos on flickr of the wash out from the flood last month as well. The damage caused is incredible and there was debris stuck on the top handrails on the bridge which is 4-5 metres above the normal river level. It has completely changed the river bed and parts of the glen. Think the folk who phoned for the helicopter evacuation made the right move.

Bill Hicks (RIP)
derek
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby JoyceKLow » Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Visited this bothy, for the first time, over Mayday weekend (28/4/17). Easy and scenic walk in from Lower Diabeg. Wouldn't have wanted to walk in from Red Point fully laden. Bothy pretty mucky when we arrived but nothing drastic, mainly cosmetic brushing up all round and a wee clean of the kitchen work tops. It looked like only day trippers or folk passing through for some time. The 3 rooms upstairs seemed wind and watertight as no damp marks but as we didn't have rain it wasn't really tested. After the first night the fire (stove) was toasting and, although we didn't overload it, it was glowing quite alarmingly. We carried in coal and a bow saw as we were told there was old wood to be had over the bridge and south of the bothy..and so there was...tons of it. We burned a small amount of rubbish. Why do people leave half used plastic tomato sauce and oil bottles?? And carried out some more. We found no damage anywhere, toilet was clean and there was still some cleaning material in the bothy. Front room still missing a floor. I think the time might be right to bin the old beds and mattresses. Will keep an eye out for the next workparty. Hopefully we left it a wee bit tidier than when we arrived. We had the company of 4 kayakers from Shieldaig and 8 kids (well abody's a kid now) from the Black Isle on the Saturday, good craic all round. All in all a super bothy which just needs a wee bit of TLC
JoyceKLow
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby auljock » Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 am

Its a fine walk in Joyce the views are terrific,the bothy setting is nice too. I think the floor is a work in progress.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Previous

Return to North West Highlands and Islands