Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Meanach WP 15-16/04/17

A place to discuss Meetings and Work Parties.

Meanach WP 15-16/04/17

Postby gus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm

A small workparty will take place at Meanach bothy in mid-April, the main task will be to replace the front windows, some pointing will also take place and if I have time I will rebuild the fire place in the right hand room.

Some help is required, can anyone make me a couple of windows, I can't find anyone who will.
Gus Fair.It tak's a lang spin tae sup wi' a fifer.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Re: Meanach WP 15-16/04/17

Postby gratemaker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi Gus, surely you can find somebody to make you windows :? .
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby gratemaker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Gus, i was wondering if you do get someone to make you windows how are you going to get them there going from what i have heard it is easyer to get to the moon :? i think you made that statement :) :) .
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby gus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Getting them there isn't a problem Harry, getting them made is.

Ps. 37" tall and 30" wide.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby GAZNI » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm

I tink Gus is hinting Harry ya know your the windy man ta noo, I,d even go up to point them in for ya Ha :wink: :D
GAZNI
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby gus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm just back from the workparty which went very well, two people turned up to help, Tam Mangen and Chris,a genetics student from Manchester.
The fire place was rebuilt in the RHR and all internal masonry was pointed and painted, windows and doors were also painted.
The Bothy is now clean and tidy with little residual rubbish and looking fresh for the summer visitors.
I haven't heard back from the firm making the windows yet but as soon as i do I will organise a workparty for fitting them.

One small incident worth mentioning.

On Saturday night at about 8:00pm, with the curry just finished and the whisky just being opened, a man entered the bothy, he was soaked from head to toe, covered in mud up to his chest and bloody the rest of the way up. He had a broken nose and several cuts across his face and a belter of a black eye looked imminent. The first aid kit was opened and wipes and swabs soon had him cleaned up, he was given curry,whisky and a seat in front of the fire.
It turns out he is French, he was travelling from Fort Bill to Aviemore bivvying on the tops when he had a fall on Ben Nevis (the weather on Saturday was bad enough that we couldn't work outside, strong winds with rain/hail/sleet/snow showers in-between periods of calmer weather).
He made his way to the bothy, I'm not sure he had a stove with him or much food, he then left first thing in the morning, thanking us for our hospitality, the swelling on his nose had gone down but his eye was was starting to swell up with a yellowish tinge.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

I've just heard the windows are ready but I've still to pick them up, then all I need is someone to fit them and then my dastardly plans will all come together...(Phantom MO type laughter).
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gus » Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Anyone out there know how to fit these.
Attachments
V__9DC1.jpg
V__9DC1.jpg (222.65 KiB) Viewed 176 times
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby auljock » Tue May 02, 2017 9:50 pm

If you've measured them right they'll fall into place. If you don't get a helper (hope you do) take your time when fitting them. Different guys have different methods but we fit them like this and they've been fine.

Make some wee wedges to square them up in place make them tight enough to hold the window in place, the front should butt against the wall, we use expanding foam to set them in place. The facings or ingle linings will hold them from the inside. If possible its even better if you can get screws through the frame or get brackets into the frame and screwed to the wall. Mastic round the window to the wall (mortar first if needed). Stay sober, take your time don't break the glass and things will be fine. :D :D
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gus » Tue May 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Eh! Weegies! Stay sober??? Whit the f@#k do you expect fae Me? ;) :twisted:
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby auljock » Wed May 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Weegies, bloody weegies, that mair offensive than saying stay sober :D I'm only trying to help, we've worked together before remember and as you know I'm always sober :roll: :D
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gratemaker » Thu May 11, 2017 6:25 am

aye Gus the only reason we used foam at the Ark was to give them a bit of buoyancy .
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Return to Meeting's and Work Parties