Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Claerddu bothy

For bothies in Wales

Moderators: gus, admin

Re: Claerddu bothy

Postby Arctic Bob » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Depends on the weather - unless it's very dry the track usually looks the Somme.

I'd put good money on you having to push the bikes about 70% of the track, and it's only about 600m anyway, so it doesn't seem like much of a cycle trip.

Another option would be to leave the bikes with the car at/near the roadhead, and cycle down the track going south along Llyn Egnant - it's about 2km or so of good, solid track that has that wilderness feel but without the inconvenience of trackless bog...
Arctic Bob
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby FamilyByCycle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Hold the bus. Is the preferred route to come in from the west, on the road from Ffair-Rhos? #PossibleRookieError #RightOnASheetJoin :oops:

When I was referring to cycling the path in, I was meaning the unmetalled road from Claerwen dam car park! Doh!

Given the weather forecast we might postpone but if we tried to get to this bothy in the car, would we get away with parking on that little stub near the end of what appears to be the line of the path in from Teifi Pools, around 789 683?
FamilyByCycle
Fire starter
Fire starter

Postby Arctic Bob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 pm

FamilyByCycle wrote:Hold the bus. Is the preferred route to come in from the west, on the road from Ffair-Rhos? #PossibleRookieError #RightOnASheetJoin :oops:

When I was referring to cycling the path in, I was meaning the unmetalled road from Claerwen dam car park! Doh!

Given the weather forecast we might postpone but if we tried to get to this bothy in the car, would we get away with parking on that little stub near the end of what appears to be the line of the path in from Teifi Pools, around 789 683?

you could do - personally i'd leave the car at the end of the metalled road another couple of hundred yards further on - theres a decent sized turning circle and room to park. i've got stuck leaving the car on one of the parking places on the verges closer to the bothy - i probably got it wrong by less than 6 inches, and it took about an hour to get the car moving. in the dark. in the snow...
Arctic Bob
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby FamilyByCycle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the tip, Bob. Our people carrier is notoriously 'light on its feet' at the front, so I am wary of parking it on soft stuff after a similar event which also cost me a telling off for getting mud inside the car. Not as bad as when I covered my wife (and a stranger who stopped to help, and HIS wife) head to toe getting out of a rut at the side of the Hardknott pass, but still not good.

I've taken a run down the road on Google Earth - I think I can see where you're thinking. I'm guessing that the road sees very little traffic other than probably dirt bikes and Land Rovers claiming not to understand the Welsh language 'no motor vehicles' sign?!
FamilyByCycle
Fire starter
Fire starter

Postby Arctic Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Sounds about right - I don't think the road is even shown on my supermarket road atlas...

Do be careful though, there's lots of spots with very restricted visibility, and you do get complete morons tanking it along - whether in a car, a bike or whatever.

Have a look at geograph.org.UK and have a look at the track from Claerwen resovoir, I think it's ok, but not a place to discover that it's not...
Arctic Bob
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby FamilyByCycle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:49 pm

We made it! Thank you very much for helping us prepare. We had to contend with the very wet floor but otherwise all was well. We found about 4kg of coal and left a fresh 10kg bag, kindling, lighters and candles.

What a shame the DoE groups make such a prolific contribution to the graffiti...
FamilyByCycle
Fire starter
Fire starter

Postby Arctic Bob » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:32 pm

FamilyByCycle wrote:We made it! Thank you very much for helping us prepare. We had to contend with the very wet floor but otherwise all was well. We found about 4kg of coal and left a fresh 10kg bag, kindling, lighters and candles.

What a shame the DoE groups make such a prolific contribution to the graffiti...

wet floor? any idea what the cause was?

glad you liked the place - yeah, the graffiti is a bit sad, but at least most of it is 'X woz 'ere' type stuff.
Arctic Bob
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby Arctic Bob » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Stayed over on Saturday 12th March - all was well with all bits and bobs in the right place and in good nick.

The water ingress is a continuing problem, i think its coming in through the south west corner of the building on the ground floor and above the window in the west end bedroom. The furniture on the ground floor is beginning to be effected by mould, and the ground floor ceiling was damp.

Had the fire roaring all night to try and dry it out, and certainly the ceiling was dry by the morning.

Anyone visiting will need to bring candles and kindling...

As ever, thanks to the EVT for this fantastic bothy - I've sent them an email with a bothy report.
Arctic Bob
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Previous

Return to Wales