Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

a cracking doss.

When is a bothy not a bothy? When it's a howff or a doss.

Moderators: gus, admin

Re: a cracking doss.

Postby gus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 pm

i will send jim curtis an email and see what the situation is regarding the bothy, i will try the farmer as well.
Gus Fair.It tak's a lang spin tae sup wi' a fifer.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby auljock » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Just wondering if Gratemaker and Auljock ever made it to check out the site.

No Bill we let it pass as we thought it had died on its arse,the gratemaker kept bringing it up I did'nt put up any posts.Now he's joined the forum theres no holding him back.
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gratemaker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi bill yeve got ma spirit awe fired up it would be great for bunch o like minded guys ti have there own we place in the hills , me and aujock have been dreamin aboot it for a while so why dont we all get af wur arse,s and and get wur heed,s the gither and do soming aboot it i am up for it and i widny mind putting in a few quid come on guys its a dream. PS there is one of those recycle yard,s down our way they sell everything from roof sheets ,windows,doors,ect you name it .look forward to hearing from yes awe come on its a dream. PS al make a new grate :) .
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby The Bothy Ghost » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 am

[quote="Waderider"]I'm willing to contribute what I can, be it experience, materials, or labour. :D

10 of us putting in £50 each would probably give us enough to make a start, and probably make a fair dent in it, if we use salvaged materials. I got 20 sq mtrs of good quality old American pine floorboards for £20 just over a year ago from a local yard. They had wheens o' the stuff and may have been just trying to get rid of it, but it would've been a good deal at twice the price. Try that at B&Q!

I also know where there's a cracking auld German stove with fishing/hunting scenes cast intae it, although I last saw it a year ago lying oot the back of a keeper's hoose on Blackmount. And, I've just remembered a beezer of an iron range in an auld fermhoose Gus showed me... in fact, there were 2 of them, although they'd require nocturnal commando manoeuvres! 8)

The Faither, as Honorary Master Doormaker, could practice his craft where it's appreciated, away from the Madding Crowd! (He'll need a volunteer tae humph the ******* over 4 miles of aluvial mounds.)

[quote="Waderider"]The only thing I don't do is fill out paperwork :D

This would be a good time for me tae shut it! :mrgreen:

Gus, I've somehow lost my PM facility and have deleted all posts in an attempt to get it back. I'm sure you gave me a GR for the howff at some, as I remember checking it out on http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm The GR is long gone, though.

I'll email you, mate.

Cheers,

Bill.
"Sha Hoor Jess, ye've pit the lum up!"
The Bothy Ghost
Fire hogger

Postby gus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:37 pm

ive emailed you back bill. for all those of you who didnt know which bothy was being talked about in the non MBA thread by auljock, this thread is derived from another thread that was about that bothy :D :shock: , i hope i havent said to much :twisted: :lol:
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gus » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:36 pm

first contact has been made.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby The Bothy Ghost » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:42 pm

As estate and other bothies pre-date and vastly outnumber Dark Side bothies, how has the classification "non-MBA" come about? :evil:

Did you contact the owner Gus, or was it JC? Good to know, anyway! How was the enquiry received Gus?
"Sha Hoor Jess, ye've pit the lum up!"
The Bothy Ghost
Fire hogger

Postby gus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:08 pm

it was the owner bill, not had a reply to my second email yet. but the reply i got confirmed the bothy hasnt had any work done on it since i was there in 2008 :o . im not expecting a reply soon, i did ask a lot and it would have came straight out of the blue (other colours are available) :roll: .im might pop up there on thursday night if i get a good reply as i am away for a long weekend to a little bothy on the NW coast :D
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby auljock » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:19 pm

I dont know if this makes a difference good or bad, but there are plans to build a windfarm practically on the bothys doorstep.
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gratemaker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:58 pm

a wis jist thinking there jock maybe we could get a wire on ti wan i them it would gi some power save me taking that we daft genny :lol:
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby gus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm

probably going to give up on this bothy as a project. after visiting the estate yesterday we found out that the bothy is still open and the owner is maintaining it himself, which is all good news.post any suggestions you have here, there must be a wee bothy about somewhere that needs a bit of work done on it.
gus
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gratemaker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 pm

hi folk,s as gus was saying looks like this doss is a no no plus they are ready to start work on a new road to service the wind farm witch they will be starting work on next year, a pity :(
gratemaker
Master wid burner
Master wid burner

Postby Mart » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Sorry just discovered this place and joined up, so not posted before

I know this bothy is used by others : Its location is on a mountain bike route held every year called the 'Highland Trail 550' http://www.highlandtrail.net/
Depending on how fast you ride, this is used as a Day1 stop over point, The riders don't linger very long when they sleep, most often arriving after midnight and being away before 6am

Mart
Mart
Fire starter
Fire starter

Previous

Return to Dosses and howffs