Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Poca Buidhe (non-MBA)

For bothies in the North West Highlands and Islands

Moderators: gus, admin

Poca Buidhe (non-MBA)

Postby Auld Git » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Passed by here in late April / early May and the estate were doing a lot of work.Part of it was putting a new roof on the section that`s usually left open.
The old sarking and rafters were lying in a heap a short distance away so should provide endless entertainment for any major wid burners passing through :lol:

Was chatting to them and asking if it was still ok to use it. Reply was "yes" but they would prefer that you didn`t use it if there were paying guests in the other half.

Huv a pic somewhere I`ll look out....
Auld Git
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby binky » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:56 pm

heh Auld Git its a braw wee place and the wee troots are braw, really friendly estate as long you play by the book, long may estates continue tae have this attitude jist the same as the two dosses along the Etive and elsewhere.

Binky
Freedom tae Roam, Freedom of Speech, Freedom tae Bothy
binky
Inactive user

Postby BothyDave » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I have always wanted to visit this place. Is the open doss still just big enough for 2 or has it been improved? Also i assume from the origional note that there is a fire/ stove inside?
BothyDave
Wid burner
Wid burner

The status of Poca Buidhe?

Postby SimonP » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Can anyone update me on the status of Poca Buidhe bothy. I have had conflicting information as to whether one end is still open to the public.
SimonP
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Re: The status of Poca Buidhe?

Postby socrates » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 pm

As far as I know its a Private Fishing bothy – locked and commercially run (you can book it if you're a fish bloke). Shame 'cos it's in a great location.
socrates
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby Prospect » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:13 am

Traditionally one end (kitchen and sleeping loft above) was always left unlocked - but whether that is still the case I don't know. Sadly, I suspect not.
'Ammer, T an' G, bl**dy 'eavy bag o' cement ...

Prospect
Wid burner
Wid burner

Postby BothyDave » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:39 am

MY UNDERSTANDING WAS THAT THERE WAS AN AREA BIG ENOUGH FOR 2 AT ONE END OF THE BOTHY AND IT WAS LEFT OPEN.
THERE IS A CAVE ON THE HILL ABOVE THE BOTHY WHICH PREDATES IT WHEN BOTH POACHERS AND SALMON WATCHERS SHARED THE SAME HOUFF.
TAKE A TENT!
Age and treachery overcomes youth and inexperience
BothyDave
Wid burner
Wid burner

Postby SimonP » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks for that. Looks like it's a tent then.
SimonP
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby BothyDave » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:22 am

Simon got this from a friend of mine in the States who is a Scot.

Poca Buidhe was renovated 2 years ago(?) & last August was my first visit since Hale-Bopp passed over ('97?). The kitchen is left open all year as is the sleeping loft above but if paying clients are in the main part they aren't keen on sharing, but I was well-treated in '94. If you go in from the south beware of the burns coming up quick & also the cleg-infested bogs on the way from Kinlochewe. The setting is superb but there is a helluva lot of broken bottles & other crap lying around.
The original Poca Buidhe (yellow bag, which is apparently part of a gutted deer) is a shelter stone about 100m sw of the hoose, but I don't know where the cave, if any, is. I had heard rumours of a cave on Baosbheinn that the cattle rustlers used in the old days.
The boathouse at the north end of the loch is smelly but has a concrete floor out of the weather. There is wee shack thing half way in from the roadend but the roof was knackered last August.
If you look online there is a website for hiring the place, from someone in Gairloch I think, & if it is like in '94 you will get wood supplied for the stove in the kitchen as well as use of a boat & argocat.

Maybe you will not need that tent after all
D
BothyDave
Wid burner
Wid burner

Postby Auld Git » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:45 pm

I was there in May 2008.Smaller section was open and showed signs of regular use.The outside was a bit of a coup though but this looked like it was down to the estate ....
Auld Git
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Re: Poca Buidhe (non-MBA)

Postby pedro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Was up here over the weekend 6th to 8th July '12. Sad to say the estate has a new laird who is acting likle an idiot. The bothy is no longer open for walkers - the part that was open is now locked and part of the rented house. Even the boathouse has a padlock on it. If you're expecting to stay overnight, take a tent.
pedro
Fire starter
Fire starter

Postby daniel caola » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Hello everyone.

Ukclimbing also says the bothy is effectively shut now. Anyone know where this cave is?

[Presumably to rent the bothy you need to do it as a group as part of a package including use of boat, fishing rights etc, not just individually like a bunkhouse?]
daniel caola
Fire starter
Fire starter

Postby BothyDave » Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

100m to the SW I think but in poor condition and full of glass
BothyDave
Wid burner
Wid burner

Postby oatcakeman » Sun May 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Perhaps the reason Poca Buidhe is now locked up is because it is publicised on this forum?
If every non-MBA bothy had its details available online so that no idle oaf had to go for a walk to see what that square on the map was like, then I doubt if there would be many decent places left?
oatcakeman
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Postby gus » Sun May 26, 2013 7:10 pm

You might have a point oatcakeman, that there are bothies out there that shouldnt be mentioned on the internet, but theres not a lot we can do about it. I cant just delete posts because I dont like them. And im pretty sure people would get upset if I started editing every post, There are several non MBA bothies that I dont like being named on here but they still are.
Gus Fair.It tak's a lang spin tae sup wi' a fifer.
gus
Tree chopper
Tree chopper

Next

Return to North West Highlands and Islands