Welcome
Welcome to ukbothies.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Camasunary

For bothies in the North West Highlands and Islands

Moderators: gus, admin

Camasunary

Postby O I Sell Nudes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Whats the crack then anyone? As far as I know the word is it's being closed, or at least passing out of MBA contro at some point. Is it still open at the moment? The MBA site still lists it but there's no thread on here. I was thinking of heading that way either wednesday or thursday if it's available :)

Cheers

Les
O I Sell Nudes
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Re: Camasunary

Postby Dr Scallopboy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Wherdya get your info from? I've heard nuffink about it being closed/given up
I'm having a beer for breakfast to prove how rock and roll I am
Dr Scallopboy
Wid burner
Wid burner

Postby auljock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Its true scallopboy. I thought it was in an mba newsletter but I may be wrong.I remember reading that the owner is planning on making it his permanent home when he retires in 2 years time.
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby O I Sell Nudes » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Yeah that's what I heard Auldjock - tbh Allan i've forgotten who told me and from where came the info, but it seemed to be fairly common knowledge I thought? Or maybe common misinformation then you sayeth, or suggesteth mayhap? Of course, perhaps it was talked about at some point but is now not going ahead as planned. Plans can alter I guess. Hope so, as it's a cracking bothy - or at least in a cracking location. Wasnt there (and hasnt there always been for that matter) an issue with rubbish left behind despite the scant walk-in, which was jeoapardising its future as an open shelter at some point? Maybe that was part of the reason behind a decision to close and convert it?
O I Sell Nudes
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby noel » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Like other busy bothies it needs regular visits to keep on top of things. No real problem though as long as you've got a dedicated MO.

I remember the owner talking about retiring there at least 12 years ago so it's obviously something he's been planning for a while. Dunno why he isn't planning on living in the house on the other side of the bay.

I'm not sure what the score will be for camping if both buildings become private. If I remember rightly, the access legislation generally allows you to camp anywhere you can walk but you can be regarded as interfering with a home-owner's rights to peace and quiet by camping too close to a private building out in the wilds. Closing a bothy in what is one of the prime outdoors locations in Scotland would be bad enough but it would be even worse if the bay effectively became closed to overnight stays of any kind.

One private building and one open is a good balance. Fingers crossed.
noel
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Postby The Bothy Ghost » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 am

You have every right to camp below the high water mark, Noel.

Seriously though, what the The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 says is that you have a right to access "land (including inland waters, canals
and the foreshore) for recreational purposes or for the purposes of carrying on a relevant educational activity..."

...although it shoots itself in the foot at times with goobledygook like; " (or) for the purpose of carrying on, commercially or for profit, an activity which the person could carry on otherwise than commercially or for profit."

It also allows you to camp, with the proviso... "In relation to a house, sufficient adjacent land to enable persons living there to have reasonable
measures of privacy in the house to ensure that their enjoyment of the house is not unreasonably disturbed."

In contrast, there is no right of access to land on which there is... " a caravan, tent or other place affording a person privacy or shelter;", so in effect, your right to privacy while camping is enshrined in law, as is that of the owner of the land you're camping on! :D

It does not give you a right of access to "Private gardens in common ownership.", or to properties like a farm steading or building or outhouses. I did see, somewhere or other, a reference to camping not being allowed in an enclosure, or on enclosed land. It probably refers to a field with live-stock or crops, but passages like that are certainly ambiguous and inconvenient, especially as I've recently discovered a gorgeous wee mixed woodland not far from my home which is enclosed by a dry stane dyke. Open to interpretation?

My advice would be to acquire a copy of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) and carry it with you whenever you go camping just in case someone decides to be a twat and phones the Polis, as you can be sure that a country polisman will not be familiar with the law and is likely to take the side of the local. It could ruin what would otherwise be a grand evening at the campfire.

Here is the Act in full; http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scot ... 1-ch1-l1g1 and you can get a copy of the SOAC from your local Council Office. Happy camping!

On a purely personal note, the Act, although stating "not for recreational purposes", does allow "right of passage" through a Golf Course", as I was forced to point out recently to a suicidal golfing fundamentalist who was hurling abuse at my wife and myself for walking on the old Fife Coastal Railway Line. I had to have a quiet word in his ear about alternative sado-masochistic uses of golfing equip't.

I remember a discussion on here about Camasunary a good while back (Or at least, I'm fairly sure it was Camasunary) that stewardship of the building was being returned after a certain period of time (it might have been June/July this year), and that the owner was renovating the place for his daughter's use. Whatever our sentiments on the issue, it is their property and we have to respect that.
"Sha Hoor Jess, ye've pit the lum up!"
The Bothy Ghost
Fire hogger

Postby Kev&Skye » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 am

Its the owners property, if he so chooses to retire and do the place up so be it, I think the MBA intimated that they received notice to the effect that the owner will return the bothy to a private home once he retires which must be fairly soon.
Camping mind you will still be allowed, I wonder what the JMT say on the matter as they have just carried out a clear up of the bay.

kev and skye
Kev&Skye
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby gus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:54 am

i asked john arnot about this at ballinluig last month, if i remember correctly he said no firm date has been established for handing it back but it might be in the next couple of years, could be wrong about that tho, that red wines a bugger...
Gus Fair.It tak's a lang spin tae sup wi' a fifer.
gus
Tree chopper
Tree chopper

Postby O I Sell Nudes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi folks :)

Thanks for the feedback:)

So, it's open, but almost certainly will close at an indeterminate time - as far as wed/thur/fri this week are concerned (the possible days - well, two out of the three anyway, that we'll be there), all is well.

Hopefully get up Blaven via SW ridge and the slightly mental drop/downclimb from the south top via a chimney/gully with chockstone two-thirds of the way down, followed by narrow col and relativelt straightforward ascent to main top. Uh oh, just messed meself :lol:

Bill - yeah, I had to delve quite deeply into the Land Reform Act in my last job, and also for personal reasons of course. Thanks for the thread, and the links :)
O I Sell Nudes
Apprentice wid burner
Apprentice wid burner

Camasunary bothy

Postby laldy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 am

Not sure this is a new topic as such but I was wondering when the bothy will be handed over to private ownership. My last visit was in August 2009 and the bothy book contained a lot of mentions of an impending closure. I"ve only been there twice but was blown away by it and would like to visit for one last time. Does anyone have the relevant details? Cheers !
laldy
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Re: Camasunary bothy

Postby gus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:18 am

the last time i heard any news on this subject it was that the owner was taking it back but there was no fixed date for it and that it might take a couple of years before he was ready. that was in may this year.prospect may be able to give you more info.
Gus Fair.It tak's a lang spin tae sup wi' a fifer.
gus
Tree chopper
Tree chopper

Re: Camasunary bothy

Postby laldy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Cheers for that Gus, kinda ties in with what I"ve heard. Three years was mentioned by some folk I met on Skye as the possible handover time. As fate would have it the Daily Record has a Citylink promo in todays paper ( £5 return anywhere in Scotland ). Sorely tempted.
laldy
Fire prodder
Fire prodder

Missing Camasunary

Postby Albert Westerfield » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:55 am

Hello all, new here but not new to bothies, just to technology! So this is my first post and my favourite bothy.

Ive been going to Camasunary since 1990 and have been at least twice per year but upto 4 times in one year (1999 went new year (98-99) march, june and septmenber. Been like a little holiday cottage to me it has, cleaning the mussels and eating them, collecting the wood and having a fire, hundreds of people passed through, some nice, some not so nice.

I then moved to camping in Coruisk to get closer to the mountains, much fewer people and very quiet, exciting during the storms but nothing like having the bothy fire going when a gale is blowing water up through the gap in the bothy window.

Not been able to get there in the last few years, cant travel their anymore and missing the old place and the people. Has anyone been lately? Any pictures or stories?

I have a few stories, people I have met, things I have seen and heard, resuces, madmen, cross burning.

I was there when the big storm hit, it took a few gross weight of pebbles from the beach and dumped then up on the grass, it took a boat from elgol and smashed it on the rocks round the point there, it damaged trees and houses across the island but guess where wasnt damaged and was nice and cosy...the Bothy.

I was there shortly after someone tried to burn it down and was there during a solar eclipse, I managed to stay there for a week and it never rained once, i caught my food from the sea and topped it off with a few tatties from home.

I had a burning cross planted outside one night, never saw who put it there or where they went, in the middle of one night I heard a loud noise like a low flying jet and ran outside to see nothing, a still night with stars everywhere.

I met a man who slept in a cave on the coastal path to elgol and another who left to find a cave on Blaven and never returned, must have found the cave or camped out.

There have been birthdays and celebrations, music, drink and drugs, a couple of fat brothers with laundry bags instead of rucksacks and a poor family from edinburgh who couldnt afford any other kind of hliday but brought their young son on his trip.

Ahh can tell you about a beast of a man, hair as red as the fire of haydee's and eyes as brown as the earth with hands the size of snow shovels and a body a brick sh!t house would be proud of, a beast of a man with a wee girls voice! He came with a pal of his, skinny as a worm and dressed in black leotard to keep him warm, they had a funny wee look about them.

Then I remember a fellow by the name of Alasdair, he swam in the sea in winter and burnt plastic on the beach, great black cloud of smoke and soot and a smell that would hold in yer throat like a swollen tonsil.

Couple of clowns there one year, genuine clowns with a squirty flower and funny clothes and shoes, they stopped by for a drink before moving on, completely insane.

Had someone come in with an ankle injury asking me to go and get help for them! I kindly refused, made them wait until morning with their foot in cold water, bandaged it and sent them on their way in the morning with my walking poles, they never left them by the car like I asked (or they did and someone else took them).

Helped a few people stuck on the bad step, read somewhere they were going to blow it up to make it easy access, for disabled people of all things!!

Yes I mis Camasunary, I hope it doesnt get returned to a private residence before I can get back up their.
Albert Westerfield
Fire starter
Fire starter

Postby auljock » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

I should be there tomorrow albert I will let you know how its faring
The more I learn the more I realise how little I know.
auljock
Bothy fire tender
Bothy fire tender

Postby Waderider » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Good stories Albert.

I was last there during the rut just past. First night I pitched my tent, which was stupid, because at night the beasts moved onto the flat area between the bothy and the bridge remains. It's a bit unnerving being c0c00ned in a sleeping bag and hearing thudding hooves approaching you at high speed, accompanied by the usual belows. Eventually I built up the courage and got up and shooed the beasts away. Thank god they are not as tame as on Rum or I'd have been in even more (improbable?) danger.

The jet noise that got you out to look and then stopped is an interesting one. Was it wind direction and aircraft route or a haunting from this crash onto Sgurr Na Stri :shock: :?: :) .

At 7.45pm on Tuesday 7th December 1982 a United States F-111F aircraft, tail number 70-2377 crashed fatally and spectacularly on Sgurr na Stri. Maj Burnley L. Rudiger and 1 Lt Steven J. Pitt were killed.

Major Rudiger (37) , the pilot, was from Virginia USA and 1st Lieutenant Pitt (28), the aircraft's weapons systems officer, was from New York. Both men left a wife and two children who were, at that time resident in the south of England. Major Rudiger was highly experienced, having flown F-111s since 1969.

The aircraft was stationed at the American Air Force base at Lakenheath, Suffolk, England and it was on a night time automatic-flying training exercise. Although the aircraft had terrain-following radar, which theoretically enabled it to fly on auto pilot at heights as low as 200 feet, something went horribly wrong and it flew straight into the rock face of Sgurr na Stri.

The accident was witnessed from Elgol by John Alec MacKinnon, a local man who was 17 at the time and who contacted the local police. He described a huge fireball which made it look as if the whole mountain was on fire. The aircraft was not carrying live weapons, so presumably this was the fuel load, since Sgurr na Stri is more or less solid rock.

The aircraft had been flying in company with a second F-111 which stayed in the area until an RAF rescue helicopter arrived.

The accident was also witnessed by a group of climbers who were spending the night in a hut at Camasunary, less than a mile from the crash. They also described a huge red fireball which lit up everything for miles around.

The climbers joined an RAF rescue team which arrived by helicopter about an hour and a half later and the combined party then split up and climbed the mountain by two routes. Shortly after midnight they arrived at the crash site, one party camping there overnight, the other returning to Camasunary. The remains of the aviators were brought down at 10am on Wednesday morning by a fresh rescue team.

(Copied and pasted from here - http://www.isleofskyeguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Glen%20Sligachan.html)

Seen lots of accidents and incoming injured at the bothy not least from the Bad Step. Plus some odd visitors directed there by (I presume) Portree tourist office - like a couple of Hawaii under the delusion that they might find solitude and hot showers there :lol: .
Last edited by Waderider on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waderider
Wid burner
Wid burner

Next

Return to North West Highlands and Islands